While working on a computer we need to save files but a time reaches when there is no space left on your system for file storage. Moreover sometimes due to some technical problem your windows damages and your data is lost. To prevent this loss an online storage program like Dropbox has been designed for file storage.
You have saved some data on your desktop system and suddenly need that data when you are outside, obviously, you cannot carry the system with you.
To ease this problem online storage provides you access from any device by putting in username and password. Dropbox lets you store files on a cloud drive and grants access to these files from any other computer, laptop or smartphone and wherever you are by using your login.
However, if there is a lot of positive about Dropbox, there are also some back draws. Dropbox provides only 2G data storage which seems very less nowadays and if you want more space you have upgrade to premium which costs money.
Also, Dropbox doesn’t encrypt the files which means your data is not safe. Many websites are offering nearly the same thing, and sometimes with better features and security. Here 10 Dropbox alternatives have been listed to present you free websites like Dropbox.
Dropbox Alternatives: 10 Best Cloud Storage Services
Sync is the best Dropbox replacement it is easy to use, understand and very secure, even the host of the website cannot see your data. It is a reliable app that secures your data.
You can allow access to people to the specific file and can also decide the level of permission. For example, it’s up to you whether you want to allow editing of the file, give permission to just view the file or allow the person to invite other people to access the file.
The most interesting feature of Sync.com is its program under which it provides 1 GB free data space on referring a site to another person. The more you refer the more free data space is provided by Sync.com.
Sync.com is compatible with Internet Explorer 10+, Microsoft Edge, Safari 7+, Firefox and Chrome web browsers. It can be used on desktop computers as well as mobile devices.
- Very easy to use and understand
- Ensures data security
- It can be accessed through multiple devices which is very helpful in sharing files easily during group work in an office.
- It is a good option for keeping business data.
- Large files can be shared
- Only sync the selected files so other data remain safe.
- Provide 1 GB data for one referral.
- They provide only a yearly package of 500GB space for $49, no monthly package available.
- Third-party app is not allowed to access.
- Inquiries are made only through email, no other source of contact is available.
- Uploading and downloading of files is slow due to end to end encryption.
This is one of the strongest dropbox competitor. Onedrive is a Microsoft cloud storage and is the best option for Microsoft users. If you are a holder of Windows 10 computer then most expectedly you have Onedrive on your computer and there will be no urge to use any other storage software. Free version of one drive provides you 15 GB data space while its paid packages are also very flexible in price.
You will get Microsoft office suite for free on the purchase of storage package. This gathers the interest of Microsoft users towards one drive. OneDrive also provides Onenote support to the users, which helps them in putting down notes, creating lists and scanning documents.
To get the best out of OneDrive use the latest version of Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. Systems on which it works is a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10, 8/8.1, or 7. Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012 (including R2), or 2008 R2, Mac OS X 10.12 or later. Also compatible with Android, iPhone, iPad or iPod. It is not supported on Windows XP and Linux.
- Easy to use, control and customize
- As OneDrive works in collaboration with Microsoft, accessing PowerPoint, Word and Excel files is easy.
- OneDrive can be reached from any device using a login and password.
- All types of files whether photos, videos or word document can be stored and sorted out by file type which makes it easy to find the file.
- OneDrive can link to social networks which makes file sharing very easy with your colleagues. So proved helpful from a business point of view.
- Security issues as you have the right to allow access to files for read-only or editing files. Moreover only selected file is accessed or shared.
- Files are not AutoSaved without an internet connection.
- Managing auto-sync on Macs can be difficult.
- There are some privacy issues as Microsoft scans the files to look for objectional content which means somehow your data is being watched by the second person.
- You can share file size up to a certain limit.
- There are chances of getting hacked so the password should be strong.
- Files sometimes get altered while uploading on OneDrive.
3. Google Drive
Although it is a google version of Dropbox, but still some features make google drive the best dropbox alternative. Firstly dropbox only gives 2 GB for free while Google Drive gives 15 GB data space without any charges.
However, the paid packages offered by Google Drive are more flexible than those of dropbox. Secondly, Google Drive provides other important tools such as google docs, sheets, slides, calendar and much more which are quite helpful in compiling documents and presentations.
Creating and editing documents in Google Drive make it more interesting and a platform to choose over dropbox. It can also be used for business purposes as the Google’s G Suite provides loads of tools specially designed for business work. Their price starts from $ 10 per year and person.
Google Drive is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8. It can be run on all types of Mac OS X 10.6, Android phones, tablets running 2.1 Éclair and IOS 5.0, Apple smartphone and also by using Linux on tablets.
- It provides cloud storage.
- Files can be shared easily without any difficulty.
- It provides 15GB free data storage.
- Autosave feature let you save data while you are working.
- It gives offline access to the documents.
- Highly secure.
- Google block the degradation of package plan by users. You can only upgrade the package coming back to a smaller package is not possible.
- Google renews the paid subscriptions at the end of the contract without the consent of the user.
- It charges in US dollars only.
- Although the paid plan provides space up to 30 terabytes but you cannot open files larger than 5 terabytes.
- The company has access to the data for inspection which makes the data insecure.
Box is very much similar to dropbox but its main focus is on business people. It contains tools that are designed to aid business working.
Like all other storage apps, it syncs data automatically and shares files but the difference is that it provides you Microsoft suite which enables you to edit the document online without downloading the file. Moreover, you can collaborate through chatting with other group members on the document while working.
Box also provides services to the third party app which means you can edit, save or view any type of file online. It is the best solution for those working in a group form. Data of the documents are saved automatically during working. Box provides you a free trial before becoming a paid member of the app.
It is compatible with all the systems including Linux.
- Simple to use
- Access can be made through the web or by the cloud.
- File sharing is easy so very helpful in group work.
- Storage space is unlimited.
- Getting a file preview is not easy
- Its free plan does not let you to upload
- A file larger than 250MB
CloudUp is another dropbox alternative that is very easy to use. File sharing is done by simple drag and drop method which means there is no need for uploading or downloading files. You just pick the file and drop it on the destination you want to put it.
It can share files like videos, music, documents, pictures and website URL. Files can also be shared by sending URLs to the recipient through a secure method. You send URLs with a password for keeping data secure.
It is compatible with any type of browser or device.
- Drag and drop technology makes the file sharing easy.
- Password can be added to ensure data security.
- Media can be viewed by the recipient without downloading the file.
- This app is available for Windows and Mac as well.
- Screenshots are upload automatically which may arise problems if you take so many screenshots.
- When file uploading is done browser opens automatically.
Although Mega has all the features similar to that of other storage apps, but one amazing thing about it is that it gives you 50GB data storage space for free.
This is an attractive option for people in search of large data storage space. It also has an inbuilt feature that provides a chat facility without leaving the app.
Compatible with all devices.
- Files are encrypted by the site which keeps the data secure.
- It gives a huge data storage space for free i.e 50GB and 10GB on inviting a person to the app.
- It is user friendly.
- Login is very slow when using the web.
- You have to remember the encryption key otherwise you won’t be able to access your data and the company does not send you the new encryption key.
- The premium plans are a little bit more expensive than other cloud apps.
It has space booster plans for free which helps to increase the storage space. You will get 11 GB data on the first sign in to the site. More space can be earned by posting to Twitter and Facebook accounts, by downloading and installing desktop and mobile app and by inviting your friends to the MediaFire.
Compatible with Windows, Android, OSX, iPhone, and Web.
- Very simple and easy to use
- Download and upload files with good speed.
- It can share large files.
- Deleted files can be recovered in no time
- It helps to collaborate on file with friends.
- Automatically sync video and music files.
- Small files up to 200 megabytes can be shared through MediaFire.
8. Amazon Drive
Amazon Drive is a site like dropbox to store data but its main focus is on the storage of photos. It offers 5GB of storage without any cost and quite sensible plans with 100GB of storage for $12 per year and 1TB of storage for $60 per year.
It is compatible with Windows and Mac.
- It has good photo backup service
- Unlimited space offer for images is available for prime members of Amazon only.
- The web interface is pleasing.
- It provides an automated backup of images in mobile devices.
- This app does not provide file syncing
- Apps for desktop are limited
- You can share files not folders.
- Like other storage, apps do it does not back up files daily.
Although pCloud is not much famous storage app but its unique plan offers let you choose the storage size and features according to your requirement. This makes it the best online storage solution.
Pcloud is created by a Swiss company that took special care in making its sequrity features unbreachable. For getting a more secure feature you can buy cloud Crypto that will do the encryption of all the data.
Pcloud donot take space on the computer system its feature of syncing everything that is anywhere on your system makes it better than dropbox. But remember that access to the folder is granted by the user. Pcloud has been used by top companies in the world such as Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Snapchat, Linkedin, and Uber.
It can be accessed from all devices and browsers.
- In computer, it runs as an external drive
- Very easy to use with better security features.
- Customer support is available 24/7
- Offers reasonable plans and also lifetime access plans
- Links can be easily downloaded and uploaded.
- Provides a quick file synchronization.
- Doesn’t have any inbuilt features like Google docs
- Advanced encryption is available through the paid plan.
WeTransfer is certainly cheaper than dropbox. Registration formalities are not needed for getting its tools in the free version. Large files can be sent easily with WeTransfer. You can send up to 2GB data in a free plan while 20GB from the upgraded paid plan.
Users just need to drag and drop the files that need to be transferred and just put in the email of whom it is to transfer. From Android phones, files can be transferred easily by clicking the share icon.
It is compatible with IOS, Macs, and Android.
- Easy to use
- User-friendly interface
- Large files can be transferred easily.
- Its Pro plan is a bit expensive.
- The offline app isn’t as strong as the online.
Although Dropbox is the oldest storage service but that doesn’t mean it’s the best one to choose. Over time and as the technology advanced apps and software with new features have been introduced meeting the users’ needs. As more and more people started using the online storage apps, the security issues arise so all other companies trying to provide better security features in comparison to other apps for getting a flow of users. Dropbox serves the same purpose as other apps do but the main difference between dropbox and other apps is there advanced features and facilities. These features make them the alternative to dropbox. So after having looked upon the features of the above-mentioned storage apps choose the one that suits your needs.
[/vc_column_text][vc_tta_accordion][vc_tta_section title=”Will dropbox delete my files?” tab_id=”will-dropbox-delete-my-files”][vc_column_text]Without the permission of the user, it does not delete the files.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Will dropbox automatically sync?” tab_id=”will-dropbox-automatically-sync”][vc_column_text]If there’s an alteration to the files or new files have been uploaded. Dropbox will mechanically sync those changes. This means that sync occurs automatically, as long as you have a good internet connection.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Will dropbox upload duplicate files?” tab_id=”will-dropbox-upload-duplicate-files”][vc_column_text]Dropbox uploads any files you move to your Dropbox folder, even if those files previously exist anywhere else in your Dropbox account. You may have copies of the same file if the photo or video is visually identical and has the same file size and format.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Can dropbox upload in the background?” tab_id=”can-dropbox-upload-in-the-background”][vc_column_text]Even if dropbox is close uploading in the background allows Dropbox to upload photos. When the device location changes it immediately uploads your photos.[/vc_column_text][/vc_tta_section][vc_tta_section title=”Can dropbox recover deleted files?” tab_id=”can-dropbox-recover-deleted-files”][vc_column_text]Yes, restoration and recovery from dropbox is a simple procedure. On dropbox, go to the Deleted files page, select the recoverable files or folders you want to recover and click restore. Dropbox keeps your deleted files up to 180 days, depending on your plan.